The Science of Disasters and the Engineering of Solutions
To participate in “The Theme of Year Award,
- Choose your project’s category.
- Choose the method of your study (Experimental or Design Projects).
- Shape your project around the “The Science of Disasters and the Engineering of Solutions” Theme.
- Your judging rubric will include additional items to evaluate the following areas;
- Identify a problem that happens before, during, or after a natural disaster occurs.
- An innovative solution that helps people prevent, prepare, stay safe, or rebuild.
Disasters can cause human, economic, or environmental losses that disrupt the functioning of a community and exceed the community’s ability to cope using its own resources. Disasters can be caused by natural events or man-made activities.
Natural disasters can be caused by several factors:
- Wildfires and droughts
- Volcanic activities, earthquakes, and landslides
- Floods and avalanches
- Hurricanes, tsunamis, tornadoes, and storms
- COVID 19 and other disease epidemics, and plagues
- Industrial and transport accidents
- Structure failures
- Mining accidents
- Environmental degradation, hazardous material spills, and pollution
The top project (only one student) among the participants of “The Theme of the Year” category will be awarded with a certificate, a trophy, and a $200 of monetary award.